Spring Spinach Pesto
Fresh, bright, and snappy! While basil is a few months away, spinach is abundant in early spring and makes for a delicious pesto.
- 8oz fresh raw spinach
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- Grate parmesan cheese, juice lemon, and chop walnuts. (Processing these in advance leads to a thicker pesto, as the spinach isn't over-blended.)
- Peel and mince garlic, then add to a cold skillet with olive oil. Put skillet over medium heat and cook until fragrant. (Starting garlic in a cold pan prevents it from burning.)
- Add spinach and garlic (with oil) to a blender and blend.
- Add walnuts, cheese or nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Blend just until combined.
- Taste and adjust salt or olive oil as needed. Store in a jar in the fridge for a week or freeze.