Rustic Spigariello Sauté
Salty, mineraly, and garlicky, this is a light and comforting dish, perfect for fall!
- 1 bunch spigariello
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage
- crusty bread
- Heat a large sauté pan or cast iron over medium heat. Using a sharp knife, cut sausage into rounds, roughly 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Add to pan and cook thoroughly, flipping halfway, until slices are browned and beginning to crisp on edges. (Approx 8-10 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, strip spigariello leaves from stems. Dice stems and tear leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove cooked sausage coins from pan and set aside. Leave oil in pan, reduce heat to medium low, and add diced onion to pan. Cook for roughly 1 minute or until translucent, then add garlic and cook until fragrant (10-30 seconds).
- Add spigariello stems and cook until they are crisp-tender, then add spigariello leaves and cook for 1-2 minutes until tender to your liking. Add sausages to pan, stir to combine, and plate. Enjoy with a squeeze of lemon, salt, pepper, and a hunk of crusty bread!