Pack List - Week of 1/23/23
Produce Package, Week of 1.23.23
- Watermelon Radishes from Pitchfork Farm, just down the road in the Intervale. Store beets in your fridge’s crisper drawer. Beets keep for weeks or months when properly stored. Keeping your crisper drawer clean helps maintain a conducive storage environment, and you can refresh beets, carrots & other root veggies with a quick bath in cold water every now and then. Certified Organic.
- Celeriac from Intervale Community Farm in Burlington, VT. Sometimes called celery root – celeriac is a distinct cultivar grown for its edible, bulbous stem. Celeriac can store for weeks or months in your fridge’s crisper drawer. Certified Organic.
- Orange Carrots from Intervale Community Farm in Burlington, VT. Store them in your crisper drawer, eat often! Kept cold and at the proper humidity, carrots will last for months in your fridge. If you’ve got some older carrots in your fridge that are looking a bit sad, a quick rinse and soak in cold water can revive them. Certified Organic.
- Suncrisp Apples from Champlain Orchards in Shoreham, VT. Sweet & crisp, these store best when kept cool, keep them in your fridge! Apples, like pears, also produce ethylene, so keep them separate from any tender greens. Eco-apple Certified.
- Purple Majesty Potatoes from Burnt Rock Farm in Huntington, VT. Store potatoes in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area. Root cellars, cool pantries, or a basket on your countertop all work well! Enjoy within a month. Certified Organic.
- Baby Pac Choi (Variety Package Only) from Jericho Settlers Farm in Jericho, VT. This should be stored in its container in the fridge. If you're hoping to keep it super fresh, open the bag and let it breathe a bit. Enjoy within the week. Certified Organic.
- Watermelon radishes are SUPER tasty when pickled. Try this recipe here! Delicious on sandwiches, sliced into a slaw, or in burritos. Raw watermelon radishes are also great when thinly sliced and tossed in a vinaigrette and served with some pecorino. This crunchy root salad recipe is rich and salty, with walnuts, anchovies, and lemon.
- The purple majesty potatoes from Burnt Rock Farm are indeed purple on the INSIDE and OUT! This is very fun and means you can cook with them and color everything you make. Potato gnocchi is easy and delicious, and would look gorgeous with some purple taters.
- Celeriac is an absolute STAPLE in chilis and sauces. Use it as a 1:1 sub for celery. Try it in this boeuf bourgignon recipe! Or in your classic sweet potato chili - sub in orange carrots if you are low on sweet potatoes.