Peppers and Greens Quiche
Simple, hardy and delicious, this quiche comes together in minutes. Start with the custard base and incorporate whatever cooked vegetables you have on hand!
- 1lb spinach, kale, or spigariello
- 1lb sweet peppers
- 1 yellow onion
- 8oz cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1-4 hot peppers, 1 pint mushrooms. Make this recipe your own.
- Single go-to butter pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Make crust (recipe here), then roll out and line pie pan. Blind bake pie crust for 20 minutes at 375 with pie weights, then remove weights and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, but keep oven on.
- Make custard: combine eggs and whole milk/cream in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare vegetables: Tear or slice spinach and kale into bite-sized pieces. Dice sweet peppers and onion, mince hot peppers and garlic, and tear mushrooms into small pieces (if using).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil/butter to pan. Sauté sweet peppers, mushrooms, and onion for about 5-7 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown. Season to taste.
- Add garlic and hot peppers (if using) and cook until aromatic, roughly 30 seconds.
- Add greens to skillet by the handful and cook until bright green and wilted, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Grate cheddar cheese and sprinkle half into baked pie crust. Add cooked vegetables, spreading out in one layer, then top with custard and rest of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into quiche comes out clean.