Chicken and Leek Pie
Cozy and comforting, this pie is a perfect combination of tender chicken and flavorful leeks.
- 1.0-1.5lbs chicken breast
- 0.5lbs bacon
- 2 leeks
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- Puff pastry or butter crust
- Prepare crust or thaw puff pastry. Heat oven to 375F.
- Take chicken from fridge and let rest on counter. Dice bacon and slice leeks thinly, then rinse in a colander to remove any sediment.
- Poach chicken: let chicken rest on counter for 30 minutes, then bring chicken broth to boil in a wide pot. Add chicken breast to broth, cover with lid, and bring back to boil. Remove pot from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. That's it!
- Shred chicken, retaining 1 cup broth.
- Add bacon and leeks to a large pan and fry until leeks are tender. Add shredded chicken to pan.
In a separate saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1 cup stock over medium heat. Whisk in flour and butter until thickened, and season to taste.
Pour the sauce over chicken mixture. Let cool.
- Take half of the crust, roll out, and line a pie pan. Add filling. Cover with second half of crust and seal. (Alternatively, use puff pastry. Put filling in oven-safe pan or pot and cover with put pastry.
- If desired, cover pie crust with egg wash, then bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.